June 17, 2011

I can't believe that it's been almost a year since I last posted. Lots of apologies.

Yusi (http://urbanyousee.blogspot.com/) actually inspired me to blog again. She posted a tweet about blogging again.

I'm completing my first year as a Resident Director at the University of Illinois (UC). I've been through lots of laughs, tears, hugs, and frustrations in my first year. I had to find my place and figure out a lot of things with the help of my wonderful coach (another RD), Liz, my co-RD, Thomas, and my AC, Melissa. Also, I wasn't the only new person as I thought I was. Jessica came to Urbana North! We have our 2-person cohort and it's fantastic. Shopping trips, meals, pool time and stories. Sister from another mother.

In a nutshell, I've learned to manage a staff of 11 Resident Assistants and 1 Multicultural Advocate, provide leadership opportunities to students in our Black Student Union, Ebony Umoja, and find ways to grow as a new professional. I applied to be the Executive Director of the Midwest Asian American Student Union (MAASU) and did not get it. I learned that it was best that I didn't get the position because of my lack of experience in working with Asian American students. Being a first generation Asian American student myself, I understand my history and my identity development but lacked the experience and understanding of other students in the Midwest. I was able to co-advise the Orange and Blue Illini Chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary and I advised the GLACURH delegation and the NACURH delegation. This was a phenomenal experience and I am excited to continue as an advisor for this group. Next year I will also advise AASHO. This is our Asian American Student Housing Organization. I will definitely be attending the MAASU fall and spring conferences and am excited about presenting as well. I enjoyed my time as a co-advisor for the Residence Hall Judicial Commission (RHJC). It seems that I did a lot of supervision and advising this year.

I hope this summer I can begin working on some research on First Generation Asian American Students as well as Multiracial and Multiethnic students. In addition, I am planning to do a literature review on the Sophomore Year Experience. Hoping that this will prepare me for the Ph.D. I need to continually read and write so I can be motivated for the Ph.D.

I got a dog about 3 weeks after I moved to Urbana-Champaign. Her name is Roxie. She is a cutie:
She's a chihuahua mix that is about 7.5 lbs. I am learning a lot from her. It's hard to go away on weekend trip and EXPENSIVE. I have to put her in boarding at her vet because I feel bad in asking my coworkers to take care of her. I never want to burden them. That's why I just pay the $10/night to keep her at her vet.

I have a BF! His name is Drue. This week marks 7 months that we've been together. All I can say is that I'm very happy and he brings out the best in me. =)

Ambika (my best friend) is still in Switzerland. We try to Skype, but I'm a slacker. I'm her coach right now. She's got a lot of ambitious goals and I am supposed to help her with them.

I've started a Spending Fast (more like a diet). I'm hoping to pay off all of my credit cards and store cards by December. In addition to the cards, I have about $24,000 in grad school loans that I am hoping to pay off in 2 years. I want to be able to write a check for my parents so that they can use that money towards their business. I owe them a lot for their support and their wisdom. I was inspired by Anna (http://www.andthenshesaved.com/) who saved $18,000 in a year! Hoping I can do about the same? We'll see. I need to stop eating out and really eat what I have in my pantry and freezer. I have this habit of buying what I want at the moment and not eating/cooking it so I freeze everything. Ugh. I also have this bad habit of buying clothes and I don't wear (one of my aunts has this problem as well).

Oh...btw: I'm going to be on a BOAT in about 10 days!!!! I had scheduled a week of vacation in Alabama to visit Aunts/Uncles/Cousins/Grandparents and then a week in Texas with my parents and brother. I called my aunt to tell her when I was coming and she said, "Ok, I'm going to book a cruise." So, 11 family members are going on a Cruise from Mobile, AL to COZUMEL!!!!

I can't wait to post pictures and such! I haven't been on a cruise since I was 4 years old (Disney cruise with grandparents -- saw the pics, but don't remember a thing).

Before my vacation, i'm going to a wedding in Detroit. Can't wait to celebrate Demetrius' and Stephanie's marriage!

Here's my driving schedule:
6/24: IL---> MI
6/25: MI---> OH (stay the night in Cincinnati)
6/26: OH---> AL
7/3: AL--->TX
7/10: TX---> IL

Lots of driving. Thank goodness I have a new car that is hybrid. Traded in the Toyota during Spring Break (March) for a 2010 Prius that my parents got in January. Plus, I love my tinted windows!


Anywho, I'm tired of typing. My hands are starting to hurt.

I'm going to the Taste of Champaign tonight. Will post pictures tomorrow. I promise, again, I will try to blog more often (daily).

-Cleda